Career Change – 9 telltale signs that you’re ready
Apart from dogs, one of my lifetime passions is personal development. So much so that I walked away from the security and comfort of full time employment and immersed myself in a programme of personal development. Then I started my own business using the personal development tools and techniques I had learnt along the way.
It took years for me to realise that I needed to radically change my lifestyle and career, even though all the signs were there.
Here’s my list of telltale signs that it was time to get off my midlife butt and move:
1. Even though I’d worked hard to get to where I was, and had made a long term investment in my career, my job no longer fulfilled me. I’d hopped from role to role in the name of career ‘development’.
2. I had secretly started planning my exit strategy.
3. My ears would prick up listening to people tell their story of how they had ditched their job to follow their passion and start their own business.
4. I yearned for change, but felt stuck and didn’t know what I wanted. I’d heard of thing called Coaching but didn’t have a clue how to get into it.
5. I didn’t just hate Monday mornings, I really hated Monday mornings. I felt like a caged bird with it’s wings clipped.
6. I was an expert job hunter and continuously searching the usual job adverts but nothing appealed.
7. I took a good long look at my career and realised that what I enjoyed most about my work was helping people to grow, learn, and unleash their potential. But I didn’t feel that I was achieving my own potential.
8. One day I got a postcard from a former member of my team, living on the other side of the world, thanking me for encouraging her to make the move and follow her dream! And I hadn’t shifted.
9. One day, I sat in my living room, watching crap on TV, nursing a bottle of wine, and realised there had to be more life! That was the moment things changed.
Do any of these resonate with you?
How did you know when you were ready to get your shift together?